Eight great sources of non-meat protein:
1. Tempeh- 1 cup packs 3o grams of protein.
2. Almonds- 3 oz. packs 18 grams of protein.
3. Lentils- 1 cup packs 18 grams of protein.
4. Chickpeas- 1 cup packs 15 grams of protein.
5. Quinoa- 1 cup packs 11 grams of protein.
6. Peas- 1 cup packs 9 grams of protein.
7. Oats- 1 cup packs 7 grams of protein.
8. Spinach (cooked)- 1 cup packs 5 grams of protein.
A bit of info about Plyometric Training:
– “Plyometrics is a training technique designed to increase muscular power and explosiveness.”
– “Plyometric training conditions the body with dynamic resistance exercises that rapidly stretch a muscle (eccentric phase) and then rapidly shorten it (concentric phase).”
– “The rate of stretch rather than the magnitude of stretch is of primary importance in plyometric training. In addition, the coupling time or ground contact time must be as short as possible. The challenge to you as coach or athlete is to select or create an exercise that is specific to the event and involves the correct muscular action. As long as you remember specificity and to ensure there is a pre-stretch first then the only limit is your imagination.”
– we should be performing plyometric exercises rather than running marathons for tournament training. Sparring is fast and explosive rather than a four hour plod. That’s why plyometric training is ideal for the Squad.
I have ten plyometric exercises I use for my Taekwondo Squad that they perform in pairs (one counts whilst one exercises) alternating each time. I ask them to perform this once a quarter and I record their scores to monitor improvement. Give it a go!
I’ve started eating a lot more vegetables, which of course includes beans! They are a great source of protein, fibre and they’re great value for money!
Some great resources on bean nutrition:
If you don’t have much time to go to the gym, why don’t you try a full body resistance session with drop-sets?
Start with a heavy weight so you can just complete 8 reps, immediately lower the weight (for example on a bench press drop 5kg) and perform as many reps as you can, drop weight and perform as many reps again and repeat until you can’t lift any more (at least six sets).
Reps Exercise Weight
8 Chest press H > L
Failure Flies 5kg
8 Lat pull down H > L
Failure Iverted flies 5kg
8 Squats H > L
Failure Lunges 12kg
8 Miltary press H > L
Failure Lateral raises 6kg
8 Tricep kickbacks H > L
Failure Tricep dips Body
8 Bicep curls H > L
Failure Hammer curls 8kg
The weights given are for illustrative purposes only.